It’s time. Time to consider writing with us. We’re expanding our crew and you may be the kind of person we’re looking for.
How would you know? Here are the four steps.
- Read the About Politics, Re-Spun page. If you understand that, you’ve passed #1!
- Read George Monbiot’s essay called Career Advice, written more than a decade ago. It’s what motivated me to start Politics, Re-Spun in the first place!
- Read Jasmin Mujanović’s entire piece about how to be a significant voice in the world. His clip about how he started with Politics, Re-Spun is right here, below. Read it, follow the link and read the whole thing!
- If you have made it this far, you’ve passed the initial informal screen. Congratulations! You likely have at least an acorn of an idea of how you could fit with us: niches, voice, agenda, ideology, individuality, insight, integrity. Scroll down below Jasmin’s excerpt and read about how to light that match.
- [Optional] Feel free to pass this onto anyone you deem worthy.
When I began seriously blogging, I did so with a terrific little outfit called Politics, Re-Spun. I was so eager for the opportunity to have someone (anyone) read my writing that I produced the equivalent of free verse prose. As it turns out, there is something to be said for editorial constraints after all.
Nevertheless, the blog was a launching pad and as my focus increasingly sharpened on the Balkans, so did the attention I received, in turn. Suffice it to say, from there I moved on to more region-specific blogs which, in time, eventually led to some general interest publications.
Politics, Re-Spun is Expanding Its Writing Crew!
12 years old now and just having passed 1,000 posts, Politics, Re-Spun is looking to expand its writing crew of editorialists.
Would you fit?
- Do you know what spin is?
- Do you know how to re-spin messaging by exploring the source, context, agenda, audience, etc.; then re-framing the issue to achieve a better policy goal?
- Are you interested in social, political, economic and environmental justice?
- Do you have a unique and compelling writing voice?
- Do you enjoy ranting, while staying grounded in facts?
- Do you have a vision for a better community, city, region, country, world?
- And, optionally:
- Since all art is political, what kind of artistic insight/talent/experience might you possess?
- Might you understand intersectionality?
- Are you maybe a member of a politically, economically or socially marginalized demographic/community whose voices are often ignored by elites and the media?
- Have you maybe enjoyed being published in the past, anywhere?
So whether or not you already have your own blog/outlet, if you can answer most or all of these questions, and you can relate to the work on the website, and you’d like an informed, intentional audience of thousands of people to see your work every month, you would probably fit in!
How to apply:
- Email me [see below].
- Commit to writing 50-800 word pieces at least 6-12 times each year. Yes! That’s the word range.
- Send us your name, email, whatever social media details you’d like to share, 2 samples of 200-800 word pieces you’ve written/published, and a 75 word bio [covering your writing, political/artistic and whatever interesting personal curiosities].
Thanks for pondering possibilities,