-- Download Columbus Day is Institutionalized Racism as PDF --
In Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving Day today, a slight improvement on Columbus day, which institutionalizes systemic racism.
Columbus Day celebrates white supremacy. It’s time to stop that now. If you need some elaboration, read this.
Seattle did it 2 years ago. Now Vermont has figured out a first step in a solution: turning Columbus Day into Indigenous Peoples’ Day. The rest of it involves human engagement, some truth, some reconciliation and building a new future with dignity and respect.
So go out there and learn the maps of pre-colonial “Canada,” “USA,” and Mexico.
More from my site
- December 26, 2013 Ending Homelessness: Easy If You Simply Care
- October 20, 2014 Transportation After Fossil Fuels: A Decade Away?
- October 2, 2010 Two Minutes to Counter Anti-Union Brainwashing
- March 9, 2012 Politics, Re-Spun on The Rational on Co-op Radio, March 12 Lineup
- July 18, 2013 Walmart and McDonald’s Pretend They’re Great Employers!
- October 12, 2014 White Privilege and Entitlements, On Acid, Sans Irony
The following two tabs change content below.
is a husband, father, professor
, speaker, consultant
, former suburban Vancouver high school English and Social Studies teacher who changed careers because the BC Liberal Party has been working hard to ruin public education. He has various English and Political Science degrees and has been writing political, social and economic editorials since November 2002. Stephen is in Twitter
, and the email thing
, and at his website, dgiVista.org