It just used to be that perpetuating Harper’s social, environmental, economic and political policies made me think that Justin Trudeau is merely #TheNewHarper.
But we’re way past that, as we approach the one-year anniversary of the election.
The Prime Minister actually changing his name to Justin Harper is where we’re at now.
I’ve written about being “uppity” many times before.
It’s a controversial word.
- It’s been used to insult women and people of colour who don’t know their place. Who don’t know they should keep quiet and not try to cut back on white male entitlement. Don’t ya know.
- The fear of being uppity creates a chill that discourages many people from trying to upset the social order.
But really, British Columbians, if you want BC to slink even deeper into the right-wing neoliberal sewer, you better get uppity, and fast. Because you didn’t in 2005, 2009 and 2013.
Complacency and apathy are awesome goals of contemptuous politicians.
If you think the current government has any interest in making BC better for anyone other than the 1% and carbon energy corporations in particular, you may be complacent or apathetic.
For instance, if you think a BC Liberal cabinet minister should be applauded for winning medals at the Paralympic Games, you may not realize that maybe you should be stunned at how hatred of the poor and disabled shouldn’t be government policy.
But there’s a cure!
It’s here. Get uppity and read this:
We Must Completely Obliterate the BC Liberal Party
Which was the most important news story on Tuesday this week? And which news story was overshadowed by corporate media coverage of the other 3?
- Donald Trump was officially nominated and elected as the Republican candidate for president, despite attempts to derail that surreal event.
- Donald Trump’s wife plagiarized Michelle Obama in her speech.
- There was something going on between Taylor Swift, Kanye West and Kim Kardashian. I still don’t know what. And no, I won’t seek a link for this. Please.
- And the soon to be big[ger] story that Mrs. Trump Rickrolled the Republican convention and the country.
The answer to both questions, obviously[?], is #1.
But the media pointed out some squirrels with which to distract us from the torturous reality that a major American political party is in such a state of delusion that Mr. Trump is their gift to the White House.
This is something we should all be debating and planning to avert! But we can’t if the Kanye/Kim/Taylor/Melania show is on.
So. Did you catch it? Or did corporate media get you again on Tuesday? If you caught it, you are allowed to like us in the Facebook.
Spoiler: yesterday we learned that Trump thinks the president’s job is to Make America Great Again while letting his vice-president take care of domestic and international policy. It’s now the Texas Bush-Cheney Chainsaw Massacre, Part Deux!
Oh. And here’s your Easter Egg.