-- Download A Fine Collection of Canada Day Racism as PDF --
First Nations propose changing Stanley Park’s name to Xwayxway.
What an interesting story about changing the name of Stanley Park to remove the colonialism. We now have Haida Gwaii and the Salish Sea. Removing colonial markers is about us as it is about the First Nations.
But I am thoroughly astonished, but sadly not surprised, at the degree of racism in the comments to this story. There are 16 comments now, only one in favour of the name change and many of those opposed spouting such racist bunk that it truly sours Canada Day.
More from my site
- March 12, 2009 MLA Dan Jarvis: Time to Lose Your Job
- December 6, 2013 Day One, Post-Mandela
- June 23, 2011 Greece at a Crossroads
- May 5, 2014 Protest Vancouver Police Brutality, 2014 Edition
- July 7, 2005 Longing for Ideologically Vacant Politicians?
- March 7, 2011 The “Harper Government,” Soft Fascism, Coalitions and ProRep
The following two tabs change content below.
is a husband, father, professor
, speaker, consultant
, former suburban Vancouver high school English and Social Studies teacher who changed careers because the BC Liberal Party has been working hard to ruin public education. He has various English and Political Science degrees and has been writing political, social and economic editorials since November 2002. Stephen is in Twitter
, and the email thing
, and at his website, dgiVista.org