-- Download 2011, The Year of Democracy: Haiti and Libya as PDF --
Aristide has returned to Haiti in the last hour after Canadian troops, US marines and others kidnapped him almost 85 months ago, with Obama trying to impede his return. Bad move. This morning we are also seeing a Libyan cease fire in response to the UN Security Council’s resolution for a no-fly zone in Libya.
While the UN Security Council is usually an anti-democratic, imperialist body, this decision, is an unusual example of the Responsibility to Protect doctrine actually working. Libya is experiencing a grassroots democratic revolution along with many other nations in 2011, the year of democracy.
Haiti will experience the joy of their returned president in the coming days and months.
And there were 3 bald eagles in the Active Pass bald eagle count this morning.
More from my site
- June 2, 2011 Releasing Government Bad News Under Cover of a Hockey Game
- March 23, 2011 Flexing the Democracy Muscle
- March 14, 2011 The Ugly Return of the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP)
- February 23, 2011 Jasmine Revolutions, Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, and Francis Fukuyama’s still wrong
- February 18, 2011 Endorsing Alnoor Gova for the Burnaby-Douglas Federal NDP
- February 10, 2011 Live-Blogging “Canadian Occupation from Here to Haiti and Afghanistan” 2.10.11
The following two tabs change content below.
is a husband, father, professor
, speaker, consultant
, former suburban Vancouver high school English and Social Studies teacher who changed careers because the BC Liberal Party has been working hard to ruin public education. He has various English and Political Science degrees and has been writing political, social and economic editorials since November 2002. Stephen is in Twitter
, and the email thing
, and at his website, dgiVista.org